You should wash your roof regularly so that it won’t let dust, debris, or dry leaves accumulate on your roof. Moreover, washing your roof regularly will ensure that your roof remains clean and safe from algae and moss build-up.
If you are searching for a trusted roofing company in El Monte, then you should contact www.baileyroofingca.com. So, let us know the steps that you should follow to clean your roof properly.
Prepare yourself for Roof Cleaning
If you want to clean your roof by yourself, then you should prepare yourself before starting the cleaning process. However, you can hire a professional cleaning service If you do not want to face any hassles.
Here are a few things you should consider:
- First, you should wear gloves and masks so that you do not get infected with dust particles. It will also protect you from getting scratched during the cleaning process.
- You should check if your ladder is in good condition or not. If it is broken, then repair it before using it to avoid accidents.
- Arrange the cleaning solutions and disinfectants to get rid of the moss, algae, and stains on your roof.
- You should also keep the equipment like a blower, dustbin, and small brushes that you will need while cleaning your roof.
The next step of roof cleaning would be to clean your gutters.
Clean the Gutters
When the gutters are clogged then it might cause roof damage. So, if you notice clogged gutters then you need to inspect your roof to find out if it is damaged.
In such a case, the gutters or drainage pipes of your roof should be inspected timely so that they do not get clogged due to the granules of roof shingles or dry leaves that fall from the trees around your house.
Use a leaf blower to get rid of the leaves accumulated on your roof. Also, you can use a cleaning solution to clean your gutters properly.
Clean the Debris
If you see dirt and debris on your roof, then you should clean it properly to keep your roof protected from damage. However, you cannot go with the regular spraying method that you usually use for cleaning. This might cause more mess on your roof.
So, let us understand the method of cleaning that you need to follow to clean the debris on your roof.
- You should use a leaf blower to get rid of the leaves and twigs from your roof.
- Using a small brush, sweep away the remaining debris.
- Then you can pick up the remaining stubborn ones with your hands.
- Trim the overhanging tree branches near your roof so that they do not fall on your roof to damage it. You can get rid of the clutter by pruning the extra branches that hang on your roof.
Clean Moss and algae
You should not DIY the cleaning method for moss and algae build-up on your roof as it might not give you great results. We recommend hiring a roof cleaning service in your location to avoid such hassles.
The moss and algae cleaning process involve a few steps:
- Check out for the areas having moss or fungal growth.
- Then, you can clean the dirty shingles with a hose pipe. Clean the moss build-up by spraying your roof with a cleaning solution that you can prepare by using chlorine bleach and water.
- Then leave this solution to stay on the moss build-up for about 30 minutes. This will ensure you can clean the moss build-up easily. Then rinse off the solution using clean water.
- If the stubborn moss is not cleaned in one attempt, then you should repeat the procedure several times until you get rid of all the moss and algae on your roof.
You should inspect your roof and take certain preventive measures to protect it from damage. If you notice signs of the roof decaying or sagging then you should replace your roof as soon as possible.